Skip to main content

rest in peace, sweet spectacles


what do you see in this picture? there's not much, really. my eyes, my glasses, a bit of my eyebrows and my skin. but do you know what i see?

i see the best glasses ever. i absolutely love my glasses. i wanted to get glasses like these when i was in high school, but my parents thought they were a bit too unusual or something at the time, and wouldn't pay for them. i loved these kind of frames because they reminded me of the kind of frames that my grandfather wore way back in the day (i had only seen in pictures). so when i got out on my own after collage and it came time for some new frames, i bought them. that was about 8 years ago.

for 8 awesome years these glasses have been a permanent fixture on my face. my kids don't recognize me without them. neither do i. they have been the most durable pair of glasses i could have ever imagined. until yesterday. yesterday they snapped. i got out of the shower yesterday afternoon after working out, and i went to put them on and they just fell into two pieces. i had to go to a meeting last night, so i got some black electrical tape and did some emergency surgery, turning myself into the classic geek with tape holding his glasses together.

and that's where i am. i know i have to go get new glasses, but i'm very sad. i feel like i'm losing a part of my face; a part of my self. whatever i get is going to take some getting used to.

so, i'm in mourning today. for a fractured face, a me that can no longer be. rest in peace, my favorite glasses of all time. you served me incredibly well. i saw so much with you. thanks for hanging in there so long, and for showing me the world. rest in sweet peace.

Comments

Mrs. Milinovich said…
They're just glasses ! Buy another pair. You will still be you no matter what and we know you won't be buying a pair that is run of the mill, so we look forward to the next avant garde pair. By the way, "working out"? What's up with that?
Happy said…
I can relate. I've been wearing glasses only since I was a kid and I had a pair very similar to yours pre-kids (I thought they were very trendy...and they were). I don't think mine bit the dust like yours, but I just got discontent with them and opted for new frames. But many say my glasses define me and when I briefly tried contacts somehow they made me different.

I know something like glasses can't really define a person, so to speak, but I am not "me" without mine...

Good luck finding a new pair. There are so many options I'm sure you will do well.

ps. Shannon...it must be the flat iron. Mine is one of those wide ones because my hair is so thick so I wouldn't be able to curl my bangs under with it...I might have to try a sleeker version of the flat iron! Good tip...I imagine it would probably work well on mine too once they get just a tad longer (they're currently "side swept.."
Mary said…
aww. sad. i understand. but i often find that once you let go of something like that...you love and adore the new thing as well. (with some growing pains of course) I can already picture a really cool 3d collage made with your glasses. Frame the frames!

thinking of you....

Popular posts from this blog

bad haircuts (for a laugh)

everybody needs to laugh.  one good way i have found to make that happen is to do a simple google image search for 'bad haircut.'  when you do so, some of the following gems show up.  thankfully, my 9th grade school picture does NOT show up.  otherwise, it would certianly make this list!  please laugh freely and without inhibition.  thank you and have a nice day. 

happiness is dry underwear

we started potty training jack on thursday. we followed a program called POTTY TRAIN IN ONE DAY, which, by the way, i think is kind of crazy. i mean, if someone were to offer you a book called, "ACHIEVE WORLD PEACE IN ONE DAY" i don't think you would take it seriously. and yet here we are, trying to accomplish an equally daunting task in one 24-hour period. it is intense. the day is shrouded in a lie because as soon as your happily diapered child wakes up you tell him that it is a big party. we had balloons and streamers and noisemakers and silly string - all the trappings of a legitimate party. but it is most certainly not a party. it is a hellishly exhausting day. as soon as jack got out of bed, we gave him a present: an anatomically correct doll that wets himself. jack named him quincy. several times quincy successfully peed in the potty and even had an accident or two in his "big boy underwear." he also dropped a deuce that looked and smelled sus

the crucifixion of Robert Lewis

  "the crucifixion of Robert Lewis" mixed media collage with leaves, acrylic paint, and found objects by gregory a milinovich october 2023 this october i was invited to participate in a three day trip which was called a "pilgrimage of pain and hope."  while that may not sound super exciting to many of you, it actually really intrigued me.  i am the kind of person that wants to feel big feelings, and i am drawn to the deep places, so  i was interested in traveling to the scranton area, where the trip was planned, to see what it might look like to be a pilgrim that was wide-eyed and listening to the pain and the hope in the stories of others.   this trip included hearing the stories of immigrants to the northeastern pennsylvania area, and the work in the coal mines that many of them did.  it included hearing from folks who are working for housing justice and equity in downtown scranton.  it included hearing from those indigenous people who first inhabited that land.